Wednesday 13 April 2011

Got any good book recommendations?


My life-long tendency has been to have about 20 books on the go. As a child I'd pack a good five to six books for a twenty-minute car journey, you know, to have options. I never knew if it would be a Samantha Learns a Lesson, Number the Stars, or Baby-Sitters Club Super Special type of day. My reading selection had everything to do with what was in stock at the library or featured in the Scholastic school book order (!).

These days a lot of my recommendations come via the interweb, so I thought it would be fun to share some of the books we're loving right now.

I just finished Life Would Be Perfect If I Lived In That House by Meghan Daum and am raving about it. It's hard to live up to a title like that, but the author does it with flying (and hilarious) colors. I'm also looking forward to reading The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker. Apparently I'm in a female-penned-long-titled-memoir phase, but I'm fine with that. It's much lighter than previous Russian literature phases.


So, what book(s) are you excited about right now? Can't wait to hear!



{Isn't this embroidered book cover by Jillian Tamaki amazing, by the way? There's more flossed goodness where that came from here.}

11 comments:

Katie @ FaithBlogs said...

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp! Have you read it? You'll love it. Hope you are well!

Joanna Roddy said...

I was able to check out the "My Life Would be Perfect if I Lived in that House" at the library yesterday, thanks for the rec. I also have Tehanu out from the library, fourth in the Earthsea Cycle (aka fantasy dorkdom which I love). You should post your stack again like you did last year. I might do the same. :)

McNabb Clan said...

yup...i was going to echo "1000 gifts" -- so incredible!! xoxox

alisha said...

I'll have to check out One Thousand Gifts! Thanks for the heads up. :)

Jenny said...

you know i'm more of a fiction girl...but i did just read Frederick Buechner's The Sacred Journey and really enjoyed it.

And if you're wanting to go the fiction route...my stand-by's are:

- a prayer for owen meany
- the red tent
- the time traveler's wife

i don't know how you can possibly handle having so many books out from the library at a time..i have 3 in my possession right now and one that i need to pick up and it's killing me!

alisha said...

Just put The Sacred Journey on my book list, thanks Jenny!

Kristen Gough said...

Now and Then by Frederick Buechner (another of his memoirs) is wonderful, too.

Other faves:

An American Childhood, by Annie Dillard (non-fic)
Gift from the Sea, by Anne Morrow Lindbergh (non-fic)
I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith (fiction)
The River Why, by David James Duncan (fiction)
A Ring of Endless Light, by Madeleine L'Engle (fiction)
Friends for the Journey, by Madeleine L'Engle and Luci Shaw (non-fic)
A Moveable Feast, by Ernest Hemingway
any poetry by Mary Oliver

currently reading: The Yellow Leaves, by Frederick Buechner and A Long Obedience in the Same Direction, by Eugene Peterson

alisha said...

Kristen, I love A Moveable Feast too! And I've had several people recommend I Capture The Castle so will have to check that one out soon. Thanks for the input.

melissa-jade gregan said...

I LOVED the Babysitters Club series! Oh, happy times.

At the moment I am reading any and all travel books about Vietnam I can get my hands on...we are off for a week in Hanoi in July.

But one of the best books I've read recently is 'we are all made of glue' by Marina Lewycka. Bloody brilliant.

alisha said...

Mel, that's great you're off to Vietnam - what a fun trip! Glad to hear that Babysitters club made it to New Zealand as well.

Laura Anne said...

I loved the Babysitter's Club! I started my own BSC 'library' to lend my books out to friends in primary school.

Just finished 'The King's Speech' by Mark Logue (grandson of Lionel Logue!). It was excellent.

On my list: Stars in Unexpected Places by Nicola Hulks, The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander McCall Smith, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. Plus a whole pile of theology/christian books for the course I'm doing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails