Tuesday 23 February 2010

Piles of books

 
The accusation that I am a girl who likes piles I will happily accept. I do like piles and especially piles of books.

Here's what is currently in my book pile (bottoms up):

  • Lonely Planet's The USA Book - This lonely planet series is amazing. In England we had three other books in this series: The Travel Book, The Asia Book and The Cities Book. They are perfect coffee table books for dreaming of the next place and, since for us it's America, we snatched this one from the library last week.
  • Vogue Australia - Also from the library, the Aussie Vogue gives the UK and US versions a run for their money. I love how pro-Australia it is and it's getting me in the mood for our upcoming Sydney raid. 
  • The Poisonwood Bible -  This has been on my to-read list for so long so I finally checked it out. I'm still debating whether now is the time to read it though. Any thoughts?
  • Writing Down the Bones - I love this book almost as much as The Artist's Way, which says a lot. It's the perfect resource to dip in and out of when you need to charge through writer's block.
  • Among Flowers by Jamaica Kincaid - Natalie Goldberg, author of Writing Down the Bones, tipped me on to this author who, apparently, will revolutionize the way I view non-fiction. Already I'm a bit of a non-fiction fiend so it's I'm expecting to be blown away.
  • Vagabonding -  My friend Jess gave me this book the week before we left London and it's the perfect read if you want to do some long-term traveling, not that I need it (the kick in the pants that is). It's in the Four Hour Work Week vein which is fine with me.
  • Inside the Whale and Other Essays by George Orwell - I scooped this beauty up at the second hand bookstore when I first got to Auckland.  I also recommend the book whose name it inspired, Inside the Whale. I heard the author speak at a literature festival in London and was impressed. Plus, she's my age so it inspires me.
  • Bird by Bird - I'm re-reading Anne Lamott's guide to writing and life and it's still great.
  • Fodor's China - Because China's really moving up in the world...
  • Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren Winner - I'm re-reading this one too. It's a memoir of an Orthodox Jew who converts to Christianity but misses some of the traditions of Judaism. It's probably one of the best books I read in 2009.
  • May Day by F. Scott Fitzgerald - I checked this out because the library didn't have The Great Gatsby. Not sure if I'll read it. I liked the pink colored cover though.
That really is a pile! What's in your (literal or figurative) reading pile at the moment? Any hot recommendations welcome.

4 comments:

Joanna Roddy said...

I love that we read all the same writing books. Can't wait to compare notes on them over a big cup of coffee when you're back here. :)

alisha said...

Mmmm...me too!

Nadine said...

Great books!! One more for your list - Stephen King's On Writing. I absolutely loved it and it's one of the few books that moved with me to HI. For the record, I can't read regular Stephen King, but this writing book was awesome.

alisha said...

Thanks for the suggestion. It's on my list by I might bump it up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails