Wednesday 3 November 2010

Buoyant Wednesday + Update


Another beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest. Seattle, how do you do what you do to me?!  Blue skies, Herkimer coffee, golden foilage -- you're so good.

I feel like it's high time for an update. Today marks 5 months since Dan and I left New Zealand for an American homecoming. In that time we've industriously found gainful employment and a charming and affordable dwelling, connected with old friends and new and generally settled in incredibly well to this Emerald city. After a decade of cold-moving every two years or so, I'm grateful for this relatively easy transition.

I've also been given the gift of time to simultaneously develop some fun projects.


The book is plodding along. Two weeks ago I was overjoyed to turn out a narrative arc! If you've never heard of a narrative arc, consider yourself lucky. Such a labor of love but incredibly gratifying to fit four years of life in England onto four sheets of paper and try and make sense of the story I'm attempting to write.


The blog...Well, supposedly I was planning on going back to two posts a week come October, and now it's November. Yikes. To be honest, I know it's better to post more often, but for me right now, once a week is the perfect pace. It allows me to write the kind of posts I want to write and keeps the blog a joy rather than an obligation. So, until further notice, once a week it will continue to be.

One thing I have really enjoyed with this blog recently is having a central theme of Life to the Full. I have so many great ideas for developing this further, including columns and features, but for now, again, my slow and steady approach supersedes my enthusiasm -- there's just so much to do and I refuse to be "busy" when I could be savoring this great season of life.


Another exciting thing on my horizon is that I'm going to NYC next week for my work! I've been to New York twice and loved it and can't wait to raid it again. Does anyone have any must-see places/ restaurants/ cafes for me?


I'll leave you with some blogs and assorted beauty I've been loving lately to keep you buoyant on this hump day:

What's inspiring you today? NYC tips pretty please?





{photos:
union jack by Kris Atomic via 1010 Project
forest by Pia Jane Bijkerk via 1010 Project
new york illustration by fritz buzze via missmoss
new york by Kate Miss via 1010 Project}

9 comments:

Nadine said...

Alisha, I'm so glad the last 5 months have gone so well! I'm excited the book is coming along! And I love that you created a boutique communications consultancy!

I love NY but haven't been there since 2002 so I don't have any suggestions, but have a wonderful time!

sweetmelissa said...

Thank you for the link love! I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog.

xofromseattle.com

TheLadyWhoLunches said...

I can't believe it's been 5 months. That's insane! And I am finding the same, once a week seems to be working for me.
By the way, strangely enough I'm heading to NYC today! Looks like we'll just have missed each other. Will let you know my suggestions after I reacquaint myself with my old city :)
Still loving your blog

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your discoveries of Seattle! I moved here three years ago (after having lived in several places around the country, and briefly in London), and I hope to never leave!

I found your blog via Lexi Grant's! She's one of my BFFs.

-Andrea James (andreajames.net)

alisha said...

Sweet Melissa, welcome! I love showing off location blogs. :)

Meagan, what a shame we won't have any overlap in NYC! It would be great to meet up. Do let me know your suggestions.

Andrea, so glad you stopped by. And that you love Seattle too! Any of your Seattle suggestions are welcome too - I love exploring. :)

La Dolce Vita said...

Enjoy New York City! What a great city!! :))

TheLadyWhoLunches said...

Just got back and there are a couple of must haves in NYC for night's out - definitely St. Marks (East Village) for bars and then pop in McSorley's - the oldest bar in NYC where they still only serve light and dark beers with saw dust on the floor. My friend's boyfriend just opened up a great restaurant/bar on 58th between 6th and 7th called Red58 - adorable. Ask for Steve and say Effie's friend sent you!
Seeing Ground Zero is still incredibly moving and insane at how little progress they've made with the memorial.
If you can, go to Ellis Island, but you'll need half a day.

South Street Sea Port has a really pretty view of all the bridges and some cute bars.

I'm sure you'll have no problems, but those are just a few of my suggestions. Have so much fun! I did!

alisha said...

Meagan, thanks so much for the recommendations! I'll definitely add those to my list. I want to go to Ellis Island so good to know to leave enough time. :) Glad you had a good time.

Shannon of HAPPINESS IS said...

It HAS been so beautiful here, right? And dark... damn daylight savings. It's black now as I write this. Great to hear an update on all your projects! I adore the Life To The Full idea :) Have fun in NY! As you know, I'm going in the Spring, so let me know if you find anything fantastic. Try to see a Broadway show! xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails