Friday 11 September 2009

Ode to dahlias





I discovered dahlias because I wanted to buy my wedding flowers in season from Pike Place Market, and in September, dahlias are the way to go in Seattle. They're pretty cheap but can fill a vase or bouquet like nobody's business, and the colours are bold and unorthodox.

The romanticism of a morning flower market raid was killed having to wake up at 7am the morning after my bachellorette party, but thanks to some great friends (thanks Emer & Suzanne!), we were able to get the job done.

How sweet to see that design*sponge posted a tribute to dahlias on our anniversary (coincidentally). I've been looking all over London for some dahlia action but have come up empty handed so far. Maybe they bloom later here...Must keep looking.

So here's my own ode to dahlias. Hope they make you as happy as they make me.

Here are my dahlias in action in my bridesmaids bouquets:

2 comments:

NicGaviskey Band Members said...

How well I remember the jaunt to the market for those blessed dahlias, and anything like trying to tape the Ball-Headed Dahlias into a bouquet! I have the knack now however, should you require any in the future! Haha!
I just love that wedding photo Alisha. Chocolate Kimono was a very successful theme! :o) xxx

alisha said...

What would I have done without you Emer?! You did have your way with those dahlias to stunning effect...

Related Posts with Thumbnails